2005年12月26日

Reading Group--My presentation

This afternoon, from 16:00, we started our reading group. It was my turn to give presentation. After a week's preparation, I worked out 31 slides for the presentation. At the beginning, I introduced the reason why I chose the paper for gender recognition, and some research background about anaphora resolution research to our sub group.

I had invited many friends to my presentation, when it was starting, many Ph.D. candidates came here. My supervisor Prof. Tliu came here also. During the one hour's presentation, I introduced the paper in deep detail. And finally, I concluded the research of this paper and gave some plan on my current research. Many attendees gave nice advices and suggestion to my research. During the discussion, we found some doubts to this paper. I would send mail to discuss with the author.

Prof. Tliu gave me some good suggestion about my current research. He advised me to use some long distance context information for anaphora resolution. Chengjie Sun and Guanglu Sun thought using the gender type based on parsed corpus and web was not enough for anaphora resolution. After our discussion, we all believed that we should use the context to bind it. Hongfei Jiang took part in our reading group firstly. He gave me some suggestion about context modeling. But I listed the problems on context modeling. Maybe after some days, I would discuss it with Jiang. Wanxiang Che thought using linear kernel could not combine the expected value and variance squared enough. As I did not know more about SVM kernels, I could not discuss it more with Wanxiang. But I believed using SVM was a kind of combination for the 20 expected values and variance squared. Maybe we will discuss later.

Do you still remember the slogan of HIT machine learning group? Let intercommunion to be a habit. In that spirit, I knew the virtues of intercommunion. Yeah! After the reading group, I knew more about this research topic. There were so many suggestions and advices that I will learn. I liked this form.

After the meeting, in our research room, Prof. Tliu gave me three advices on my presentation. The first was my speech was so quick that many people could follow me. I should slow done my speed. Second, I would decrease the walking frequency. Audience would like pay more attention on the moving objects. If I was walking before the screen, the presentation effect would be decreased. The final problem was my poor English pronunciations. Yeah! It was a very serious problem to my English presentation. I had not spent more time on it. After the half and one hour's presentation, I felt little pain of my voice. I suggested to myself that I should learn and practice some on pronunciations and voice.

Yeah! I'd like to list the gains of my reading group presentation as following:

1. Considering the context modeling techniques.
2. Using long distance context information for enhancing the performance of anaphora resolution.
3. Learning more on SVM
4. Practice more on pronunciation and voice.
5. Reduce the walking frequency before the screens.
6. Discuss more with other researchers.

You can download my presentation slides here: Automatic Acquisition of Gender Information for Anaphora Resolution

2 条评论:

Bill Lang 说...

Comment's author: hfjiang
12/29/2005 10:00:10 AM
听了你的讲座,我的感想也很多。
讲座准备的很充分,很精彩。
在会上能和大家一起找出文章的一些怀疑点是件很棒的事。

在我印象中,Bill 作讲座应该"老练"了,呵呵,好像还有点点紧张,或者是语速有点快,不过苏克毅老师讲的也是蛮快的。

我因为对你们的研究还是了解太少,所以一些想法往往会很不成熟。不过,我这个门外汉听着听着也能得到不少启发。比如SVM feature怎么选,你们有什么好的model来对语言现象建模(这次听的那个Beta-distribution 对我有所启发)。

另外,英语的听说功力我太欠缺了,English talk 的方式真的很好。对了,Bill你们以后的lecture能不能录音、录像什么的。这样你们辛苦准备出来的内容可以一直传下去。比如,我可以拿来好好学习一下英语学术演讲的用语、措辞等等。

好了。罗嗦的太多。斑竹不要删贴哦

Bill Lang 说...

Comment's author: Bill_Lang
12/30/2005 10:44:40 PM
Good advices! Thanks hfjiang! I wil decrease my speed next time. It is a old problem to my presentation. I will learn more abou how to master it? Thanks for your concerning!