2005年8月2日

Reading(4):Linguistic background knowledge of English syntax outline

To my experience on reading book these days, I found the time span was fixed. If I worked in the morning and afternoon, then I would spend evening time for reading. And then if I spent morning time, I could work in evening time. As the working principle, I chose to finish the reading task firstly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pages: 21~30 of Natural Language Understanding, second edition, by James F. Allen, 1995

The ten pages was the main of chapter 2 'Linguistic background knowledge of English syntax outline.' In this chapter English phase structure was mainly introduced. There were materials about noun phrase, sentence, preposition phrase, adjective phrase, and adverb phrase. They all were about English syntax. So I felt about reviewing English knowledge that was learned in high school and freshman grade of undergraduate. There was some new cognition about English noun phrase. As the experience of ACE EDR evaluation, the most difficult task was noun phrase identification. There were so many kinds of conditions. In chapter 2.4 there was some deep introduction about noun phrase. I believed it was the same problem in ACE evaluation. I should pay more attention to it.

There was some related reading material about English syntax. Baker 1989 had give an perfect summarize. The most roundly materials were the books which tried to describe all the English structure, such as Huddleston(1988), Quick(1972), Leech and Svartvik(1975).

Reference:
Baker, C.L. 1989. English Syntax. Cambrige, MA: MIT Press
Huddleston, R. 1988. English Grammar: An Outline. New York: Cambridge U.Press.
Quick, R., S. Greenbaum, G.Leech, and J. Svartik. 1972. A Grammar of Contemporary English. New Your: Seminar Press.
Leech, G., and J. Svartvik. 1975. A communicative Grammar of English. Singapore: Longman Singapore Publishs Ltd.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, I would start reading chapter 3 Syntax and its Analysis

2 条评论:

Bill Lang 说...

Comment's author: Johnny Cui
08/02/2005 08:05:30 PM
So great treasure for me! Keep going ^-^

Bill Lang 说...

Comment's author: Bill_Lang
08/02/2005 08:10:04 PM
Yeah! I will keep on. Thanks for your encouragement.